Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Midas Touch Craft Beer Review #craftbeer #ancientale

Midas Touch is brewed by Dogfish Head brewing Company and is part of their ancient ale series.  Dogfish Head is located in Milton, Delaware.  This beer weighs in with a pretty high ABV of 9.0% with about 12 IBU’s.  I have wanted to try this ancient ale beer for quite a while now and I finally saw it on sale so I snatched one up. 

Appearance- With a heavy pour only about a .5 finger of white foam holds.  It is a yellow orange color with a bit of haziness to it.  There is medium to low carbonation.  Decent lacing does occur even though it has such a low head.

Smell- There is kind of a rancid smell to this brew.  I get like that kind of pea soup smell to it with a tiny bit of the grapes that they mention on the bottle.  There is a sort of spiciness to it that I really cannot pick out but it is definitely not appealing to me.

Taste- The taste is much better than the smell.  I get a nice malty almost honey like sweetness on the front of the tongue.  The aftertaste is kind of strange like a wet cardboard almost but I don’t mind it at all.  The more it warms up the better I like it.  I taste like a nice honey malt taste to it with a hint of white grapes it is kind of appeasing.

Mouthfeel- It is a medium bodied beer with a nice dry after taste.  I really enjoy the dryness to the beer it makes you want to go back for another sip.  This is not a sessionable beer with the 9% ABV but the alcohol is not present at all.


Overall, I actually enjoy this quite a bit.  The smell really lowers my rating because it does not smell anything like it tastes.  I do think the taste is quite complex and not for a beginner.  I never would have expected to like this but I actually do.  CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment