Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mississippi Mud Beer Review

First of all, I would like to note that on the case that I bought, it says to serve at room temperature, hence I am doing so.  I poured the Mississippi Mud into a common "Guinness" Porter glass, even though this is a Black and Tan beer.  I am a high advocate of the proper beer glass, for the beer.

Appearance- It is a deep deep amber red color.  It is not quite as dark as I expected, however it is a black and tan beer.  It is however a see through beer with little to no carbonation bubbles.  The head is just an off white brown with dissipating pockets around the glass.  Very little lacing on the glass and I even poured aggressively.

Smell- With a simple swirl of the glass I get this nice beautiful smell of coffee and roasted malt.  Some people may not like this beer's smell but I really enjoy it.  With my second smell, I get this overwhelming roasted malt with a "cleany" adjunct kind of smell.  

Taste- My first sip...very very mild.  I was expecting a much more deep porter taste.  It really does taste as though it is a non carbonated pilsner with a little kick of porter with the after taste.  I taste a mild but consistence malt taste with a hint of coffee after the gulp is taken.  Taste so far, disappointed.

Mouthfeel-  What else can I say, watery.  For a black and tan, I expected a poor "molassesy"   feel or at least heavier than a typical pilsner.  It is very light in mouthfeel for a black and tan to say the least.

Overall- Overall, the only good thing that I do somewhat really enjoy is the smell and appearance of this beer.  The Taste and Mouthfeel really disappoint me.  The best part of this beer however is the growler that it came in.  Basically, it is a bad ass growler that will decorate my room.  Overall, I will give this beer a 2.75 I would recommend it only to someone who is new in the beer tasting world because it is a building block to be built upon.  

Finally, I would like to note this is my first beer review ever.  PLEASE let me know how I did and or, how I can improve...CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment