Sunday, August 4, 2013

Straub IPL Beer Review #craftbeer

Today, I am tasting Straub's brand new IPL it is a combination of an IPA and a Lager.  I recently toured the brewery in St. Mary's PA and they explained that it is an IPL because they do not have the proper equipment to brew IPA's so they brewed their regular lager with all the ingredients of an IPA.  Without further a due, Straub IPL.

Appearance- Of course I poured this brew a little aggressively so I can see the full effect of its head.  I poured this beer into a specialty IPA glass, even though it says to use a pilsner glass.  Straub IPL had a nice 1.5 finger head with almost a pure white head.  Although after about 5 minutes the head dissipated to a thin white layer on the top of the brew.  Now to color, the color is a deep straw like color.  Much deeper than a typical IPA.  Actually, the more I look at it,  the more of a orangish amber color I witness.

Smell- Okay, so upfront you can definitely tell that there is a roasted malt scent to this beer.  Then after a little more sniffing, I can definitely smell a piney and crisp scent.  I am looking for a tropical and citrus scent, and just barely barely get a hint of orange.  Now on to the best part...TASTING!

Taste-  Wow this is different than anything I have had before!  Upfront there is a strong hit of dry hops right on the back of your tongue.  Also, with this first taste you  get an after taste of bitterness (which is good) in the back of your mouth for about 15 seconds.  With my second taste I am searching for citrus and I can only find it in the after taste.  However I do still taste a roasted hops taste to this beer.  Really I am surprised with Straub IPL.

Mouthfeel- This definitely has a heavier, not so watery, beer feel in the mouth.  After a swish in the mouth you can see it is brewed as a lager with IPA ingredients.  Its honestly so different I have nothing to compare it to, but to my knowledge, I really enjoy the depth in the beer.

Overall-  I thoroughly enjoy this beer.  I really was not expecting ANYTHING out of this beer because of the previous Straub beers that I have consumed.  This beer will definitely put Straub's brewery on the map of craft beers.  I am proud of their pioneering spirit of trying this they are one of two that I could find to even embark on this journey of experimentation.   Really, I did enjoy this beer and recommend it to anyone wanting to try something new on the market of beer.  It only came out 5 weeks ago!!

By the way, this is my second beer review please let me know how I am doing or what I can change...CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment